Taking The Steps From Rehab Toward Living Normally
It is more difficult remaining abstinent for long even after doing a great work to reach the level of abstinence. Setting goals and adopting healthy hobbies can help you stay clean after you complete rehab.
In a controlled and supervised rehab centre, it is relatively easier to stay clean and get well.
Rehab can provide a great foundation for security along with the tools that are required to heal and cope even after the individual has left the facility.
It may be demanding to adapt to living in abstinence outside the centre even when leaving the centre is interesting.
However, people get to learn about the best ways through which they can live a clean lifestyle after rehab even when they face the desires to use the drugs again. This skill and awareness enable you to effectively fight the urges and triggers that draw you every now and then.
Managing And Staying Away From Temptations After Rehabilitation
It is usually challenging to change surroundings from the rehabilitation centre back to staying at home.
Time and again you may encounter situations where your commitment to sobriety is being tested.
Finding yourself in old familiar places, situations and people that bring back those negative emotions may drive you back to the old habits.
Here are few things you can engage in as distractions to manage triggers
- Establish Positive Relationships and Support System
- Surrounding yourselves with sober people along with people who could have your best interests at heart and want to provide you the help needed to become successful.
- Locate a support group within your area or even someone you can rely upon to call when you feel the temptations again.
- Your Atmosphere Should Be Altered
- You need to change the environment in a way that you don't get the urges to use the drugs again.
- Don't go near places which make you want to use the addicted substance again.
- Set Objectives For Your Future
- It makes it less difficult to resist when enticed if there are objectives to follow.
- It makes sticking to abstinence simpler if there is a deep understanding of the advantages and good effects of being abstinent.
- Scheduled Meetings Must Be Attended
- Make sure that you continue going for counselling even after you have left the rehab.
- Help from doctors and rehabilitation centres are important to sustain abstinence although sometimes they seem like lots of stress and you might be tempted to skip.
- Appreciation at every time.
- It can be easier to recognise the many things that we can be thankful for when we develop a strong appreciation for the life we have been given.
- Consider beginning a journal of gratitude and write down five moments every day that made you feel happy and fulfilled.
- Change Your Lifestyle For The Better
- A study which has been published in the European Journal Of Social Psychology provides information that it can take in excess of two months before a fresh habit can become habitual, and therefore, you will be required to find a new and a positive habit which you enjoy and stay with it without exceptions.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Taking Part In Clean Activities Instead Of Using
Giving up old habits and forming new, positive ones are essential to staying clean.
Clean activities can be a lot of fun too and you don't need drugs to enjoy a good time.
You can get in touch with us on 0800 772 3971 if you require more help on stopping the use of alcohol or overcoming it after leaving the rehab.
Given below are a few examples providing you healthy methods to keep your mind occupied during the transition from rehab
- Developing a hobby on crafts or art
- Join online classes
- Learn a new language
- Help in communal activities
Seek Outlets That Provide A Community Sense
Nearly in every city and locality, several local groups offer support to people on their way to recovery. These support groups consist of people that share similar experience and recovery journey and being with them will help you a lot.
There are also several avenues providing continuous care and support, like one-to-one therapy and 12-steps meetings.
Partying Around Drugs And Alcohol While Remaining In Control
It may be challenging for a person who has just left rehab to resist the temptation to drink a little when they are in a bar. Replacing old habits can take time and that's why people who have just achieved sobriety find it much harder to resist temptation.
However, there can be situations when some type of alcohol use will become inevitable [like for example a family holiday party] and they are certain steps which you can take that can ease the situation for you.
Social gatherings are tempting places but you can overcome it in the following ways
- Try not to go alone; instead take someone who's close to you and who doesn't drink.
- If you get the urge to drink, you can use a drink that is not alcoholic.
- Minimise the time you spend within the party by arriving late or leaving early.
- If you feel that the temptation is getting too much, you can leave that place.
Why It Is Important To Get And Remain Clean
Your general well being will be improved when you start being sober. Aside the bodily advantage, a lot more can be gained from abstinence. These include
- Getting new company that don't use alcohol
- Enjoying your financial wealth
- Enjoyment of living
- Improved energy to do more
- Looking and feeling better
- Becoming an example and a source of anticipation for others who could be struggling with an addiction
Recovering from an addiction of drugs or alcohol could be one of the hardest things you will ever have to overcome. It is a one step at a time undertaking It is one decision that you will need more time to achieve. The will to be sober will help you in the recovery process in the long run even when it is a challenging process.
You must be willing to keep clean for you to be successful. You also need to have an objective as to why you are withdrawing from alcohol and follow it to the end.