Drugs And College Students
Many college-going students have a drinking or drug problem.
Many people that abuse drugs are young people that are still in school especially in the higher institutions.
Dependence is a plague that affects people that fit into the age range that goes from 18 to 24.
Many pupils suffer social anxiety when first going to college. Socializing is eased with the consumption of booze therefore making alcohol an attractive invitation. Not every student within the college begins to binge drink or to abuse drugs immediately, but it is the problem of having drinks routinely to have some additional fun, which leads many students towards an addiction.
Students who are attending college full time have a two times greater risk of alcohol or drug addiction than their counterparts who don't go to college.
Top Reasons Behind High Addiction Rates In College Students
There are many reasons that cause people to start using these drugs such as
- There are many activities in colleges such as internships, exams and social life that can exert some pressure to students causing them to resort to using drugs.
- Course Work
- Students who do not have a regular studying habit or are too tired and too hectic to establish one more often resort to stimulant use to keep them awake.
- Most of the times, medical practitioners are not the ones that have advised or prescribed these drugs to the students.
- The lack of experience and an adventurous nature of being a youth can sometimes lead students to desire to use drugs for the first time.
- It is almost usual among people at this age to explore and experiment with new things and experiences in life.
- Influence From Others
- Your environment and the kind of people who surround you are more likely to influence your person and your decision making.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Prevalence Of Diet Pills And Eating Disorders In Campus
There is usually problems with dieting among many college students.
National Institute of Mental Health pegged that 1 in 4 college students suffers eating disorders. It is quite unfortunate that these number tends to increase as the years go by. Peer pressure and low-self esteem among college students drive them to pop dieting pills to lose undesirable weight easily. Death and other health complications can occur because of this. Find out more about eating disorders and diet pill abuse on college campuses.
Types Of Drugs Found In Higher Institutions
College students are known to use almost every kind of drug.
There are few mainstays among the abused substances that are always there throughout the decades. They are
- The consumption of alcohol is perhaps one of the most common substance-related problems on college campuses because a vast majority choose alcohol.
- It is not considered illicit especially if you are of age hence regulating or identifying abuse of this substance is often overlooked.
- Many college pupils take drugs that improve their performance, one of them is Adderall, also referred to as the "study drug".
- In many states, Marijuana is now legal and that's why its use among college students is rising.
- The use of Marijuana has outpaced that of alcohol on many campuses.
- Ecstasy also known as molly or MDMA, is making its comeback since it was first introduced in the early 90's.
- The "party drug" is also used by the youths all over campuses, as they fall under the target age range for this drug.
- One of the most common party drugs is MDMA.
Alcohol And The Impact On College Students
No other drug is more commonly abused by college students than alcohol. Booze is basically ever present at private parties, sport venues, and student gatherings therefore becoming synonym of college experience.
It is observed that the average college students consume more alcohol that their out of school counterparts which can be attributed to the culture and widespread use in campuses.
Alcohol is used by majority of the population in the campuses.
A research performed by the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism has shown that about half of pupils have drank heavily. There are many problems that are associated with the excessive use of alcohol such as death and even dropping out of the colleges. Get more info about heavy drinking and the symptoms of booze on college campuses.
Abuse And Greek Life
There are many different fraternities in colleges, each of which encourages its members to have friendly relations with other members and to seek excellence in academia and other spheres, but Greek system, with all its good points, has more cases of alcohol and drug abuse than others.
Members within the fraternity and the sorority are more than likely than their non-Greek peers to abuse prescription medications, including Adderall.
Seeking Assistance For Drug And Alcohol Abuse
Don't go through harsh times alone if you are a college pupil having troubles with heavy drinking, prescription drug overuse, or an unhealthy eating behaviour. We can help you get the best assistance in stopping this addiction. Time to get in contact with us on 0800 772 3971 to break free from the addiction of alcohol and drug abuse.