Defining Experimential Therapy
Some recuperating addicts feel uncomfortable working through their issues in a conventional therapy setting. To approach to the treatment in a different way, many choose the experimental therapy.
Exploratory treatments are first-hand, engrossing proceedings which aid recuperating users handle and manage previous agony.
Commonly within a traditional setting of counselling it has been noticed that some addicts are not comfortable in having a discussion with therapists. Experimential therapies put recuperating addicts in situations where they feel great, for example, the outside or in a workmanship or music studio.
Exploratory treatment utilises open minded therapy environments to aid users deal with suppressed sentiments and reactions.
Usual exploratory treatments involve
- Ropes courses
- Therapy via music
- Adventure based therapy
- Recreational therapy
- Adventure therapy
The purpose of this therapy is to encourage patients to deal with emotions that may have been buried by helping them to develop a stronger connection with their inner selves. With the help of experimential therapy, a recovering addict can begin to understand how these issues can be faced without returning to drugs as an escape route.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Treating Addiction Using Experimential Therapy
Proceedings that are physically taxing such as mountain climbing and trekking aid to encourage real life troubles for recuperating users to defeat. Experimential therapy can instruct recouping addicts how to adapt to ordinary stressors like desires and substance mishandle triggers.
Experimential therapy has been proven as an effective method in treating a number of disorders that can co-occur with addiction. It's much easier to avoid a relapse if the other mental health problems are treated together with the addiction.
Experimential Therapy And Methods
Throughout the stretch of an exploratory treatment, counsellors lead recuperating users via various therapeutic activities , custom made to their particular therapeutic necessities.
It may be easier for the therapist to evaluate the patient accurately during experimential therapy since they may be less guarded at this point.
Co-happening mental disarranged experimential therapy treats include
- Anxiety attacks
- OCD or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Eating disorders
- PTSD or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
Other Treatments With Experimential Therapy
The main objective of experimential therapy is correcting the negative conducts of the addict that make damage to him, and for that is regularly combined with other psychotherapy methods. The skills that are taught in these practical environments are life skills that the recovering user will be able to apply later in life.
Since withdrawal from many medications causes uncomfortable or even hazardous side effects, it's essential to start any treatment program with a therapeutic detox. When going through detox there are the alternatives to inpatient and outpatient treatments to make easier this whole process. To offer the best quitting method to an addict, the combination of several treatments with experimential therapy is typical used.
Experimential therapy is regularly utilized nearby customary recovery systems to make an extensive treatment program for recouping addicts.
Experimential Therapy Common Techniques Are
- Equine Assisted Psychotherapy
- Uses therapeutic activities with horses to help the addicts.
- Patients are not required to ride the horses during EAP. However, they will groom, feed, harness and walk the horses throughout the session.
- The different methods used by recovering addicts when interacting with the horses can provide insights about their mental and emotional states.
- A patient may have suffered trauma that they are unaware of or unable to address or they may have negative emotions that they don't know how to process and equine-assisted therapy can help them to do this.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- The EMDR therapy requires patients to visualise a traumatic event even as a therapist leads them through specific eye movements.
- With the help of EMDR, many patients have successfully dealt with negative feelings that usually lead to substance abuse.
- Adventure Therapy
- Outdoor activities such as biking, climbing, camping and hiking can all be part of this therapy.
- Sports like hiking, climbing and water rafting are practiced in groups so the adventure therapy helps the patients to learn social skills like communication, teamwork and responsibility so they can get better from their traumas.
- Art Therapy
- Art therapy provides recovering addicts an opportunity to express themselves with the use of art or music.
- When getting involved in artful activities patients can work through negative emotions, which can be stressful and learn to process them healthily.
Get Treatment For Your Addiction Today
If you're dealing with the problem of substance abuse give us a call to find out more about an addiction treatment program. Climbing and artwork are part of the programs in some rehab clinics that used experimential therapy. Treatment focuses the nation over have the medicinal and helpful assets you have to defeat sedate dependence call us on 0800 772 3971.